Runecats Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leopard WebKit

2 posters

Go down

Leopard WebKit Empty Re: Leopard WebKit

Post by internetzel Fri Jul 19 2013, 12:34

Hi, I'm Tobias.
I like Roccat because it still runs on PPC Macs.
However, I'd like to have it run better in order to become a better alternative to Safari.
I'm running a spare time project to maintain current versions of WebKit running on OS X 10.5, Leopard WebKit. Leopard WebKit has come to a point where I'd recommend anyone who still uses (or has to use) 10.5 to prefer Leopard WebKit over the last Apple supplied version.
I'd appreciate if we could find a way to somehow propagate/bundle/integrate Leopard WebKit with Roccat. What do you think?
internetzel
internetzel

Number of posts : 3
Runecats Reputation : 1
Registration date : 2013-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Support Fri Jul 19 2013, 21:08

Because Roccat is a universal app which works on both Intel and PPC Macs it doesn't make sense to bundle Leopard WebKit with it.

However you can replace the system WebKit with Leopard WebKit which Roccat will use, here is the link if you're interested:

https://code.google.com/p/leopard-webkit/wiki/Feedback

Kind Regards
Peter (Runecats Support)
Support
Support
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5000
Roccat Version : 6.6 BETA
Runecats Explorer Version : 1.8 BETA
Runecats Reputation : 32
Registration date : 2008-04-16

http://runecats.com

Back to top Go down

Post by internetzel Sat Jul 20 2013, 04:12

So, you already know Leopard WebKit! That's great!
Unfortunately many people hesitate to replace their system WebKit with it - and that way cannot easily use Roccat with Leopard WebKit.
But Leopard WebKit also comes as universal binary.

I also wonder whether Roccat does actually make use of some of WebKit's features that weren't in the latest official version for 10.5 - and if yes, if it would benefit from using Leopard WebKit instead of the Apple provided one.
internetzel
internetzel

Back to top Go down

Post by Support Sat Jul 20 2013, 07:50

Unfortunately it is difficult to replace the apple provided WebKit with an alternative without causing hundreds if not thousands of issues.

It would also dramatically increase the size of Roccat making updates huge and slowing down servers making it take a long time to update. Not everyone has high speed Internet. 

A huge percentage of our users are Intel based and they would be gaining possibly 20mb of lost space for an engine which isn't quite as good as the one they already have built in.

Kind Regards,
Peter (Runecats Support)
Support
Support
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Leopard WebKit Empty Leopard WebKit

Post by internetzel Sat Jul 20 2013, 08:44

(This discussion should probably be moved to a more adequate place...)
That's why I said "somehow propagate/bundle/integrate".
I think it would be nice if users of Roccat on 10.5 would somehow be notified of the availability of Leopard WebKit for their platform. As for making Roccat use the frameworks provided by Leopard WebKit it could be relinked by some install script to use them (install_name_tool accomplishes that), something I could provide bundled with Leopard WebKit.

I think Roccat as an application supporting PowerMacs would gain an even better reputation among PowerMac users if it could offer an improved rendering experience (in terms of features and performance) over standard Safari. In turn Leopard WebKit would gain more users - and hopefully(!) some supporters and contributors.

And for those first generation Intel CoreSolo/CoreDuo Macs who can't upgrade to 10.7 a Snow Leopard version of WebKit could be provided with little effort (WebKit2 would be a huge amount of work). It would just take one person to build and test it on 10.6 .
internetzel
internetzel

Back to top Go down

Post by Support Sat Jul 20 2013, 09:16

I have moved the posts into a new topic, well if there is something you can do which can be easily added to an XCode project which can prompt users who use PPC, I will be sure to send on the info to the developers.

Kind Regards,
Peter (Runecats Support)
Support
Support
Admin
Admin