Runecats Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roccat Browser - Works with PowerPC Macs

2 posters

Go down

Roccat Browser - Works with PowerPC Macs Empty Roccat Browser - Works with PowerPC Macs

Post by Nadav23 Sat Jul 02 2011, 02:52

Hello,

I am so glad that this browser works as a universal binary. With this web browser my G5 Quad just zips along website after website and no slow downs. Thank you for making this universal! Keep up the good work!

I also use a 2010 6-core Mac Pro, but for everyday stuff I use my G5 Quad. Please continue to support Universal Binary. This is a nice web browser and even beats the pants off of TenFourFox which is the Firefox equivalent, but only for PowerPC Macs.
Nadav23
Nadav23

Number of posts : 5
Runecats Reputation : 1
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Roccat Browser - Works with PowerPC Macs Empty Re: Roccat Browser - Works with PowerPC Macs

Post by Support Sat Jul 02 2011, 06:20

We are glad that you are enjoying Roccat, yes you will certainly find that it will outperform the others:

http://Runecats.foruml.biz/t608-roccat-benchmarks-shows-roccat-is-the-fastest#15706

This shows the benchmark on a early 2011 MBP (2.4ghz IC2D and 4gb ram)
Support
Support
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5000
Roccat Version : 6.6 BETA
Runecats Explorer Version : 1.8 BETA
Runecats Reputation : 32
Registration date : 2008-04-16

http://runecats.com

Back to top Go down

Roccat Browser - Works with PowerPC Macs Empty Thanks man..

Post by Nadav23 Sat Jul 02 2011, 10:52

Nathan wrote:We are glad that you are enjoying Roccat, yes you will certainly find that it will outperform the others:

http://Runecats.foruml.biz/t608-roccat-benchmarks-shows-roccat-is-the-fastest#15706

This shows the benchmark on a early 2011 MBP (2.4ghz IC2D and 4gb ram)

Yes, please continue to make this browser work with PowerPC Macs.. I am now at the moment about to drop TenFourFox, Camino, Safari, and other browsers and use only your browser. Please continue to allow it to work on PowerPC G5 and or G4 processors, as I still have a lot of use left in my PowerPC macs which I paid a lot of money for. I also use my Mac Pro 2010 6-core and will download this browser to check how it runs on it shortly, but thank you thank you for making this work on PowerPC macs.. I will spread this word to macrumors.com/powerpc forums to let them know this works..

In the meantime, can you update the system requirements to say PowerPC/Intel instead of just Intel? Even macupdate.com says intel only.

Once again, thank you so much for such a nice speedy and powerful browser which will put Mozilla out of business..

A proud owner of 4 PowerPC Macs(G5 Quad, PowerBook G4 1.67, PowerBook G4 Pismo, PowerMac G4 1.42 DP, and 2010 Mac Pro 6-core) Smile
Nadav23
Nadav23

Back to top Go down

Roccat Browser - Works with PowerPC Macs Empty Re: Roccat Browser - Works with PowerPC Macs

Post by Support Sat Jul 02 2011, 11:24

Macupdates is updated, we don't actually control what goes on it so hopefully it will get changed soon Smile

Spreading the word will be great!

I just hope XCode 4 on Lion will still allow us to produce universal binaries, Apple have completely stopped even rosetta in Lion (snow leopard still let you use it as a separate download) So I have a feeling they may stop developers from creating universal binary apps which would be annoying!

The Mac App Store doesn't allow you to submit apps which are universal, they have to be intel only. So it's clear Apple are trying to stop it from all angles!

Hopefully Apple won't do that to us!
Support
Support
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Roccat Browser - Works with PowerPC Macs Empty Herein lies the problem...

Post by Nadav23 Sat Jul 02 2011, 11:40

Apple WILL do this to you because they want developers to only develop for Intel.. screw those who have perfectly fast capable PowerPC macs - this is Apple's attitude and thats why some people are dropping Apple like flies. Xcode 4 does NOT support universal binaries to my understanding, or maybe it does. You can download it and try it to see if it does. PowerPC has done nothing wrong to deserve this treatment.. and just an hour ago I got a call from a friend of mine who owns the same G5 Quad core as I do.. guess what? it supports a whopping 32GB of DDR2 memory!!! Remember, at the time when the Late 2005 G5 PCIe models came out, there weren't 4GB DDR2 chips. Given the G5 is a 64-bit processor, it makes quite a lot of sense that the machine can support 32GB.. so this is just more added incentive to keep PowerPC alive.

I use Xcode 3 for somethings, though programming is not my cup of tea, otherwise I'd develop PowerPC apps myself.. And Rosetta was only a 3MB program or so.. why they dropped it? Who knows, and at this point.. who cares!

All I do know is that you owe nothing to Apple. You are an independent developer and its up to you if you want to make your app PowerPC, Intel or both.. and if the rumors are true and Apple does wind up going to ARM processors in the future, then so be it that any apps at that point will be ARM compatible as well.

I used to like Apple a long time ago; Hence why I went with Apple back in 1999.. The Apple of today is not the same as it was several years back. While going Intel was a great thing, forced obsolescence on perfectly good running, and fast PowerPC hardware from Late 2005-2006 was certainly a knife stabbed in the back..

You have my 300 percent support with Roccat and we need to get the word out that it will run and work on PowerPC macs.. Your other mac program is intel only though.. and its only a text editor, I believe? You probably could make it a Universal App with ease though. I am happy with TextEdit with Leopard, but I will support any apps you make that will run on our PowerPC macs.. I might even donate to support that as I now have a nice paying job.

Nathan, when I make a promise to do something - I carry out with it.

You already got me using Roccat and nothing else.. That right there is a stab in the back to Apple since we know Safari has its quirks.. but your app is by far the best and most powerful I have ever seen. Rendering pages on my G5 is miliseconds versus seconds and minutes. I plan to download this for my PowerBook G4 1.67 Hi-res model - still a perfectly good everyday laptop for a lot of things..

What are your thoughts on Apple making perfectly good PowerPC G5 macs and G4's obsolete when they haven't even seen their usefulness come to light?

As far as the Mac App store - Thats up to you.. but since you want to market your app being universal, I wouldn't bother with the Mac App Store. Besides, the majority of stuff being downloaded there is for IOS 4, Iphone, etc.
Nadav23
Nadav23

Back to top Go down

Post by Support Sat Jul 02 2011, 11:55

I did strip out the PPC stuff from Roccat to have a MAS version (I was still going to keep the universal binary version going, after all MAS is only snow leopard + anyway!) however they declined Roccat, guess it gives competition for Safari and they don't want that.

iRuneText is intel only and MAS only, just trying to pay back the apple developer costs. Runecats do this from the people to the people, we make NO money (infact we lose money), Infact at the moment we are losing more money than ever as we are paying for a contractor to help us bring a few features to Roccat which should have been their from day one. We are great developers but that doesn't been we can do everything, so occasionally we have to pay for extra help.

Obviously if you can donate that would be amazing, as it's generally my hard earned cash which gets spent on the project!

I will be definitely upgrading to Lion but if they prevent me from making universal apps I will carry on using Xcode 3.2.x on another machine.
After all most of the system wide feature in Lion (FullScreen, Resume etc..) already function in Roccat just not using Apples new system wide API's.

If you can get more people using it, and maybe even get people donating Roccat progress will happen so much quicker!

Thanks for supporting Runecats!

Last edited by Nathan on Wed Jan 16 2013, 11:43; edited 1 time in total
Support
Support
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Roccat Browser - Works with PowerPC Macs Empty Good news

Post by Nadav23 Sat Jul 02 2011, 23:06

Nathan wrote:Macupdates is updated, we don't actually control what goes on it so hopefully it will get changed soon Smile

Spreading the word will be great!

I just hope XCode 4 on Lion will still allow us to produce universal binaries, Apple have completely stopped even rosetta in Lion (snow leopard still let you use it as a separate download) So I have a feeling they may stop developers from creating universal binary apps which would be annoying!

The Mac App Store doesn't allow you to submit apps which are universal, they have to be intel only. So it's clear Apple are trying to stop it from all angles!

Hopefully Apple won't do that to us!

Nathan,

You are in luck.. I actually downloaded Xcode 4 and it does allow you to select either Intel or Universal, so that should work. Worst case scenario, you can use Xcode 3 on another machine to create the universal binary, so that Roccat will run on PowerPC macs and Intel alike. I am aware of bloatware and bloatcode and to be perfectly honest with you its not that bad since on my PowerBooks and G5 Quad I run trim the fat and or xslimmer in order to make my particular universal apps into PowerPC only. Anyway, when I get a free moment I will donate to your web browser.. What forms of payment for donations do you accept? I prefer credit card thru paypal. I can't give much, but I will support your cause as there are still plenty of us universal mac users out there of which invested a hell of a lot of money in our G4's and G5's.

Again, I understand Apple's stance on moving to Intel which is a good thing, but what I don't like is the fact that Jobs and company are saying that our perfectly running PowerPC macs are nothing anymore and are worth nothing as everything is all Intel. I know plenty of developers who have no problem with developing universal binaries for all users. I am sure FCP X would run nicely on a 32GB G5 Quad, dont ya think?

Anyway, I wish you a wonderful 4th of July holiday weekend.

Nadav
Nadav23
Nadav23

Back to top Go down

Post by Support Sun Jul 03 2011, 07:13

Yes we accept paypal, if you head to Runecats.com you'll notice 3 donate buttons just below the navbar. You can donate in GBP,USD or Euros.

And yes there are many apps to strip out intel or ppc to that matter. It should make it a bit smaller, our code is very efficient as it is Smile

I wish you a happy 4th of July too, unfortunately I will be working over it!
Support
Support
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down